Maria-Leticia Ossa Daza Latina Trailblazer 2017 Honoree
LatinoJustice PRLDEF chooses a cohort of Latina trailblazers whose groundbreaking accomplishments illuminate new paths for Latinas nationwide. The 2017 honorees fully represent the diversity and achievement of the Latina professional experience. Maria-Leticia Ossa Daza, partner at Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP is one of the four Latina Trailblazers for 2017. You can meet the other trailblazers and find out more about the event here.
Maria-Leticia Ossa Daza is a partner in the Corporate and Financial Services Department of Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP in New York. Ms. Ossa Daza specializes in general corporate and securities matters and heads the firm’s growing Latin American practice.
Ms. Ossa Daza was named among Latinvex’s “Top 100 Female Lawyers” for Latin America from 2014 - 2016, and recognized for excellence in the categories of Banking & Finance and Corporate/M&A in 2016. The Legal 500 included her on its 2017 “Private Practice Powerlist,” recognizing leading US attorneys with a focus on Mexico. She was also named as one of Latin Trade Group’s 2014 “Rising Legal Stars” in 2014.
A native Colombian, Ms. Ossa Daza began her career as an associate in Willkie’s Paris office. She is fluent in English, French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
Selected Professional and Business Activities
Ms. Ossa Daza is an officer of the Mergers and Acquisitions committee of the International Bar Association. She is a frequent lecturer on the subject of private equity transactions at international industry conferences.
Selected Significant Matters
Ms. Ossa Daza’s significant matters among others, include:
- Celsia SA: Represented Celsia SA, Colombia’s fourth-largest power producer, in its $840 million acquisition of stakes in seven power plants in Panama and Costa Rica from GDF Suez.
- Swiss Re: Represented Swiss Re Corporate Solutions in its acquisition of a majority stake in Compañía Aseguradora de Fianzas S.A. Confianza.
- Yildirim Group: Represented the Yildirim Group in various transactions in Latin America including the acquisition of mining projects in Colombia from CCX (part of the EBX, Eike Batista, group).
- Maurel & Prom/Tuscany International Drilling Inc.: Represented France- based oil & gas company Maurel & Prom in its acquisition of Tuscany International Drilling Inc.’s drilling activities in Africa.
- Folhamatic Group/Sage Group plc: Represented Brazil-based tax and accounting software company Folhamatic Group its sale to UK-based Sage Group.
- Private Equity Funds/Despegar.com, Inc.: Represented two private equity funds in their investments in Argentina-based Despegar.com, an online travel service with operations in North and South America.
- Maurel & Prom/Knightsbridge Investments Ltd.: Represented the French independent oil company in connection with its acquisition of Colombian and Venezuelan oil and gas assets from Knightsbridge Investments.
- Zurich Financial Services/Banco Santander: Represented Zurich Financial Services in connection with its long-term alliance in Latin America with Banco Santander S.A.
- Teva Pharmaceutical/Procter & Gamble: Represented Teva in connection with its joint venture with P&G to combine their over-the- counter consumer health care businesses in Latin America and other markets worldwide.
- Insight Venture Partners/Folhamatic Tecnologia Sistemas: Represented Insight in connection with its acquisition of Folhamatic, a tax and accounting software company based in Brazil.
- Folhamatic/IOB: Represented Folhamatic, a tax and accounting software company based in Brazil, in connection with its acquisition of IOB Informações Objetivas Publicações Jurídicas, a Brazilian tax and regulatory publisher.
- Bloomberg: Represented Bloomberg LP in international joint venture transactions for electronic trading platforms and securities brokerage.
- Grupo México: Advised Grupo México in general corporate matters related to its subsidiaries.
Mergers & Acquisitions (June 2015) – Ms. Ossa Daza is quoted discussing the firm's growing and expanding Latin America practice.
Ms. Ossa Daza is admitted to the Bar of the State of New York.
Ms. Ossa Daza received an LLM from Fordham University School of Law in 2009 and a Master of Law (magna cum laude) from Sciences Po Paris/Sorbonne University in 2003. She received a JD (magna cum laude) from Sciences Po Paris in 2002, where she was a recipient of the Eiffel Scholarship.