The CLASP Two-Year Summer Internship Program for 1Ls
The Corporate/Law Firm Alliance Summer Program, CLASP, is a summer internship intended to provide qualified law students (at selected law schools) with career building opportunities for two consecutive summers at a partnering corporate legal department and law firm. If selected, the student will work for the corporate legal department the first summer, and for the partnering law firm the second summer. This 2-tier structure will:
- Provide paid summer positions for two consecutive summers.
- Match students with mentors within the corporate legal department and the law firm, who can provide ongoing guidance on professional development.
- Allow students to spend two consecutive summers working directly with corporate and law firm attorneys.
Current Participating Corporations and Law Firm Partners:
- MetLife, Inc. and Sidley Austin LLP
- Marsh & McLennan Companies and Dechert LLP
- Goldman, Sachs & Co. and Paul Hastings LLP
The CLASP summer internship is open to all eligible applicants. Applicants need not be affiliated with LatinoJustice PRLDEF to apply.* To be eligible for consideration, you must be:
- A first-year law student (1Ls) in good academic standing and ranked in the top 25% of your class.
- A student at one of the 13 law schools listed below.
- Available for the first round of interviews at LatinoJustice offices in NYC, if selected.
- Available to be interviewed by a participating corporation and law firm, if selected as a finalist.
Selected Law Schools:
1L applicants must be enrolled at one of the following law schools to be eligible to participate in CLASP.
• Boston College Law School
• Boston University School of Law
• Brooklyn Law School
• Cardozo Law School (Yeshiva U.)
• University of Connecticut Law
• Hofstra University—MA Deane School of Law
• University of Maryland School of Law
• New York Law School
• Rutgers University Law School
• Seton Hall Law
• St. John's University School of Law
• SUNY at Buffalo Law School
• Syracuse University School of Law
How to apply for CLASP:
First-year law students interested in being considered for this unique opportunity should forward:
- A cover letter that addresses what you believe demonstrates your qualification(s), including, for example, academic and personal strengths; exceptional contributions to diversity and inclusion; and/or how you have overcome adversity, such as a personal or family history of educational or socioeconomic disadvantage; and/or how you have exhibited the tenacity and talent to excel.
- A current resume (including at least one professional/academic reference; please include complete contact info for references including name, title, phone, email),
- Your official law school transcript and a legal writing sample.
Application Deadline: Applications must be received NO LATER THAN Friday, January 19, 2018 at 11:59:59pm.
Please note: Candidates selected for interviews must be available to be interviewed on either Wednesday, January 31st or Thursday, February 1st, 2018 (in person at LatinoJustice PRLDEF offices in Manhattan unless otherwise notified).
* LatinoJustice PRLDEF will consider all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Please forward your application to the attention of:
Ms. Sonji S. Patrick
Director of Education
99 Hudson Street, 14 Floor
New York, NY 10013
You may send your complete credentials via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org