Meet our 2017 Southeast Reception Community Champion - Three weeks until the big day in Miami
Meet Southeast Reception 2017 Community Champion Honoree: Carlos J. Martinez
This year's Community Champion Honoree for our 2017 Southeast Reception is Carlos J. Martinez . You can join us in honoring Carlos by clicking here and find out more about Carlos below.
Carlos J. Martinez, the first Hispanic elected Public Defender in the US, is Miami-Dade County’s Public Defender. He was elected in 2008, and re-elected in 2012 and 2016. Mr. Martinez manages an office with a $30 million budget, and 400 employees, handling approximately 75,000 cases each year.
Prior to law school, Mr. Martinez worked his way up from being a car wash attendant to managing multiple gas stations for Exxon Company USA. In the Public Defender’s Office, Mr. Martinez represented thousands of clients before working as an administrator for more than a decade. He has instituted numerous programs to help troubled youth get on the right track. He has been active in addressing the crisis of minority children cycled from schools to prisons.
More Information about our Southeast Reception!
The Southeast Regional Awards Reception will bring together professionals and community supporters of LatinoJustice to celebrate the contributions and achievements of our 2017 honorees. A cocktail reception will be followed by the awards presentation. The Honorees are:
- Lucero Honoree: Maria Dantes Sanchez, Vice President and Regional General Attorney, Liberty Mutual Group. Read her full bio here.
- Community Champion: The Honorable Carlos J. Martinez, Miami-Dade Public Defender. Read his full bio here.
- Community Justice: Florida Immigration Coalition. Stay tuned for more information about FLIC.
Remember to also join us at Latina Trailblazers Breakfast
LatinoJustice PRLDEF will honor a cohort of Latina trailblazers whose groundbreaking accomplishments illuminate new paths for Latinas nationwide. The 2017 honorees fully represent the diversity and achievement of the Latina professional experience.
- Maria Fernandez, Head of Ethics and Compliance, North America, Direct Energy
- Janet Murguia, President & CEO, National Council of La Raza
- Maria-Leticia Ossa Daza, Partner, Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Joyce Rivera, Founder & ED,St. Ann’s Corner of Harm Reduction