SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGIST – NYC
POSITION DESCRIPTION - JUNE, 2018.
LatinoJustice PRLDEF, Inc (LJP) is seeking to hire a Senior Communications Strategist to lead the development and execution of strategic, integrated communications plans in support of LatinoJustice PRLDEF’s persona, initiatives, and campaigns. The ideal candidate understands the "big picture" of communications for a social justice organization, is responsible for planning how digital messaging, public relations and traditional communications are shared with various audiences and is experienced in managing how information moves from the Executive office and out to the community.
COMPETENCIES AND JOB DUTIES
The position supports the mission of LJP, and is able to effectively tell that story to a diverse audience. Specifically, the Strategist will:
- Plan, manage and set the strategic direction of the organization’s communications program in support of the overall organizational objectives to highlight the success of LatinoJustice PRLDEF and cultivate support from constituents.
- Devise and implement the strategy, messaging, and tools needed to build the image and increase the visibility of the organization.
- Guide production of content to help drive change, influence behaviors and support operational needs, as appropriate.
- Build multi-channel communications programs leveraging, as appropriate, both external and internal platforms, including press releases for press coverage; social media; texting platform; email; and employee/Board materials.
- Supervise news releases and the implementation of public relations programs.
- Manage press conferences and press coverage at all organization events.
- Foster a cohesive organizational look, feel and tone across individual initiatives and campaigns. This includes overseeing development, management, and production of organizational marketing materials and assets and ensuring consistency of design standards, quality, and tone, particularly through outside vendors.
- Oversee organizational newsletters and web content.
- Provide communications counsel and support to administrative and program leaders to support the organization’s mission and goals. Provide consultative communications support to leaders who are communicating with key target audiences, including the Office of the President, Development, CAP Leadership Institute, Legal & Advocacy, Human Resources, and others.
- Collaborate with individual team members and across the organization to establish consistent messaging and approaches to support communications initiatives in alignment with overall organization objectives.
- Align and integrate the communications objectives of all teams within the organization, through partnership and planning.
- Act as primary liaison for the organization with media across all markets; provide direct support during crisis and emergency communications.
- Use a data-driven approach to inform ongoing strategy and maximize the impact of communications initiatives; provide ongoing reporting of metrics tied to initiatives.
- Continually review and update communications policies, procedures and best practices; stay current with communications trends and technology advances.
- Supervise direct reports and freelance resources; work in close partnership with other members of the organization.
- Performs related duties, as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field, required. Minimum 7 years of experience in Communications, Public Relations, or Content Marketing, required; content creation and production experience, preferred.
- Bilingual ENG/SPA with exceptional writing samples in both languages, required; top-notch creativity, writing & verbal communication skills are essential.
- Strong writer and creative storyteller; extensive experience managing integrated communications initiatives in a collaborative, project-driven environment.
- Relationship management critical: builds and maintains trust and a cohesive relationship with all key stakeholders; ability to bring strategic approach to delivering high-impact, multi-channel campaigns.
- Good analytical skills and experience with budget management; deep understanding of our mission, values and purpose.
- Proven ability to comfortably and decisively manage multiple priorities and projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working across digital media: internet, intranet, video, social media, mobile, etc., direct mail and print media.
- Knowledge of Adobe Professional, Photoshop, Office 365 and PC applications required.
- Experience in supervising professional teams; mentoring and advising; assigning and evaluating work; and reviewing performance.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. LatinoJustice offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability and a voluntary 403(b) retirement plan, as well as generous paid time off benefits.
Send Cover letter, resume and media/writing sample to:
Director of Human Resources and Operations
Email subject: Senior Communications Strategist – NYC
Deadline: applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply right away.
LatinoJustice PRLDEF is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.