LEGAL SERVICE COORDINATOR – SEO
POSITION DESCRIPTION - February 2018
LatinoJustice PRLDEF (LJP) is one of the foremost Latino civil rights organizations in the country. By litigating precedent-setting law reform impact cases across the country and training young people to be leaders in their communities, LJP has profoundly improved the way Latinos are treated in U.S. society, working to ensure that they have more opportunities for political, economic, social and educational equality. The five pillars of LatinoJustice’s work: Immigrants’ Rights, Voting Rights, Economic Justice, Criminal Justice Reform, and Developing Latino Líderes, focus on addressing systemic discrimination and ensuring equal access to justice in the advancement of the rights and opportunities of Latinos in our communities.
As part of our Economic Justice work, our Rebuilding Puerto Rico (RPR) initiative focuses on the Economic Crisis in Puerto Rico. LatinoJustice is providing legal support via litigation and advocacy, both domestically and internationally, in ensuring that those most affected by the economic crisis, and subsequent humanitarian crisis after Hurricane Maria, have access to essential public services restored and their fundamental human rights protected. We are supporting those affected and remaining in Puerto Rico with a local task force, Ayuda Legal Huracán María (ALHM); and our Southeast Regional Office (SEO) in Orlando, FL is preparing to provide the legal and advocacy support to those displaced by the tragedy and currently residing in Florida. For this purpose, LatinoJustice is seeking to hire a part-time Legal Service Coordinator to join our Southeast staff. The Legal Service Coordinator will organize the workflow of all Rebuilding Puerto Rico work groups which include the legal team, pro bono volunteer attorneys and pro bono partnerships; and will manage the data and reporting of the project. The Legal Service Coordinator will work collaboratively with, and report to, the Managing Attorney at the SEO.
RESPONSIBILTIES AND DUTIES
- Participate in working groups, seminars, meetings, etc. with relevance for the RPR project as agreed upon with the Managing Attorney;
- Conduct searches on internal and external document databases and systems, cull relevant information from a variety of resources such as newspapers, magazines, libraries, case documents and trade associations related to the project portfolio;
- Follow project guidelines and assist in preparation of extensive statistical and narrative public reports in collaboration with the development department;
- Ensure information flow within the SEO and LJP HQ and participate in internal meetings and working groups;
- Update Rebuilding PR information on website as needed for the Southeast area;
- Create list and coordinate execution of pro bono training opportunities for volunteers attorneys for the RPR project;
- Speak on behalf of the organization to applicants, community members, volunteers and the general public, on projects and campaigns;
- Draft and/or revise public education materials; prepare informational updates on issues for staff;
- Track LJP SEO intake process; input data related to inquiries, intakes and referral requests for legal assistance; assist with managing and coordinating the intake database; schedule, conduct and facilitate intakes related to the RPR project;
- Respond to requests from legal services organizations and pro bono clients for valuations of pro bono service and case status updates;
- Serve as a source of information on LJP’s organization pro bono policies for attorneys and staff;
- Coordinate and execute clinics and trainings with Managing Attorney;
- Maintain list of pro bono partnerships;
- Support the SEO team and handle special projects and other duties as assigned;
- Proficient with using advanced features in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint; capable of learning and using new technology;
- Proven experience in project management;
- Database management experience; detail oriented;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish required;
- Demonstrated skills in creative problem solving particularly in limited resource settings;
- Experience in collaborating with, training and motivating multiethnic and multicultural teams;
- Be comfortable with public speaking;
- Familiarity with relevant stakeholders, especially Puerto Rican organizations;
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance;
- Must be able to demonstrate cross-cultural awareness and maintain a positive working relationship with clients and colleagues with professionalism and integrity;
COMPENSATION: Salary is set by collective bargaining agreement. This is a part-time position that includes no benefits.
Send Cover letter and resume to:
Director of HR Operations
Email subject: Legal Service Coordinator - SEO
Deadline: until filled.
LatinoJustice PRLDEF is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.